Download the free maple leaf template here. You may also be interested in this Canadian Flag Pillow Tutorial which uses the same template.
Here's what you do:
- cut five rectangles of burlap 6" x 8"
- fold in half on the long side so it's 3" x 8"
- make a mark two inches from the bottom on the fold
- lay your cutting ruler diagonally from the opposite bottom corner (with two raw edge corners) to the mark on the fold
- cut with your rotary cutter
- sew around the edges of the five flags twice to keep the burlap from unraveling
- applique maple leaves to the bunting using fusible web following the instructions on the fusible, make sure the leaf stem is centered over the peak of the cut you made when the burlap was folded
- straight stitch around the edges of the leaves about 1/8" from the edge to secure them
- take a three yard piece of twill tape, find the center and sew it to the top of a flag
- evenly space out the other four flags on either side and sew to the twill tape (sew two lines of stitches to be on the safe side)
- hang your bunting and enjoy! Happy Canada Day!
Close ups of some of the flags on my bunting.
Use all different red prints to make it interesting and fun to look at. :)
Craftsy is having a big supplies sale!
Up to 60% off kits & supplies
Tuesday 6/28 @11:59PM MDT
Save up to 60% on kits & supplies with the sweetest sale you'll see all summer on Craftsy! You don't need to slather on the sunscreen to enjoy these deals; just kick back somewhere cool and snag all the kits and supplies you want for less. Top designers, bestsellers and new picks –– they're all fair game and waiting for you.