My Husband's Father's Day Quilt is Finished!

Well, it's two days late but it's finished. I am so relieved that this quilt is now done. I am happy with how it turned out. Here is a picture of it before I tell you about it.


Originally I was going to have the blocks all randomly placed but then I decided to make diagonal arrangements of like colours together and I am so glad I did that. This quilt is made with two charm square packs of "Boundary Water Flannels" by Holly Taylor for Moda. The background is a solid cream coloured flannel.


I love the little bears and moose sprinkled throughout this fabric collection!

On this quilt I trimmed all my half-square-triangle squares when I was finished sewing and pressing them and it made a BIG difference. All of my points are bang on. When I was in the process of trimming I realised too that one of my charm square pre-cut packs was a quarter inch larger than the other. So that explains a few things. I will be trimming from now on and also checking my charms packs before I start sewing.


This is the border and binding. The border fabric is "Shaded Oaks Flannel" also by Holly Taylor for Moda. The binding is a marble solid flannel. I machine sewed the binding to the front and the back and I'm starting to get quite good at that now. I did a little back and forth quilting on the border. The rest of the quilt is quilted with straight lines a quarter inch from the seam lines.



It's woodsy and outdoorsy which is perfect for my husband. I've received many kisses today so I think he is very happy with it. He is a really great Father so he totally deserves a cosy quilt to nap under.

If you follow me on Facebook you've seen my post from last night that I had spent two and a half hours ripping out quilting with my seam ripper last night. I tried to do a candy ribbon sort of design and I didn't like it. It looked messy and took away from the patterns of the fabrics. This is the section I had quilted all over and now that the quilt is washed you can't see all the little needle holes. (Thank goodness!) Another advantage of using quilt shop quality flannel.


This is the backing that I pieced together out of all the scraps from the two Father's Day quilts and 12 sweet 16's. All the fabrics are quilt shop quality flannel.


This fishing fly fabric was the background fabric on My Dad's Father's Day Quilt. The brown fabric was the border on Dad's quilt. By piecing the backing I saved about $65 and I busted my stash. All fabrics were purchased at "Quiltessential Co." quilt shop in St. Alberta, Alberta except for the Sweet 16's which were purchased  at a quilt show here in Edmonton about four years ago. I am happy I am finally using them.

Since I was so good about saving money I went shopping at Quiltessential Co. again today. (Wearing  my imaginary halo.) I didn't get a Mother's Day gift so I'm sure my husband will be happy I took care of that. ;0) I hope so because he's probably going to read this blog post.


I bought some Bonnie & Camille pre-cuts, some Riley Blake chevron ribbons and fat quarters and those adorable little Matroyshka doll fat quarters. Thank you for the wonderful Mother's Day gift honey if you're reading this. :) I plan to use the Marmalade layer cake to sew this quilt:

which is in Camille Roskelley's book "Simply Retro." Except that my quilt will be smaller as the pattern calls for two layer cakes and I only have one. Mine will also be made of flannels instead of cotton but I am using the same fabric line that she did.

And guess what other wonderful thing happened today? I went to check the mail and this is what I found in my mail box.

A package of scraps from Alison at Little Island Quilting which I won on the "Sew Mama Sew Giveaway Day." Thank you so much Alison!

All of the fabrics are fantastic and there are none that I already have. I am particularly interested in these black and white text ones. I'll have to come up with some fantastic uses for all of them soon.

All-in-all it's been a pretty great day. I hope you're having a great day too!