Wednesday, 27 April 2016

Sewing my Daughters' Summer Wardrobes with (mostly) Free Patterns

I took a little break from quilting last week because the mood to sew garments for my daughters suddenly struck! This is a rare event so I went all out. Here is what I made.

First I made a pair of Sunny Day shorts out of Cotton + Steel double gauze. These are for my 7 year old. You can find the free Oliver + S pattern here.
 I changed out my sharp needle for a ball point needle on my machine so I could sew some knits.

I made a pair of leggings out of Heather Ross Briar Rose knit. This was the last yard I had of this. This is a bought pattern from Oliver + S. You can find it here.
I should mention that although many of the patterns in this post are free I have bought many patterns from Oliver + S (5, I think) and their other labels (2 or 3). So I do have several bought patterns and I am very happy with them. It's just that these free ones are what I was wanting to sew at this time. I would like to encourage you to try the free patterns and if you are happy with them to please consider buying some of the paid patterns. (This is not a sponsored post by the way. I just love these patterns!)

Then I made another pair of leggings with Art Gallery Fabrics knit. So soft! I really love how well these turner out!

This is the Popover Sundress made with my "Succulents" fabric made for my 19 month old. You can find the free Oliver + S pattern here.

I had a very hard time getting a photo of her in it so this is the best I could do. She kept crouching down whenever I lifted the camera.

Then I made a size 7 Popover Sundress for my older daughter but she was unhappy that her little sister got the more colourful Succulents fabric.

So I let her colour it with fabric markers.

Here it is all finished. I set the ink with an iron just to be sure.

Then I made two more pairs of Sunny Day shorts out of turtle fabric. One for each little girl.


Then I made a Ruffled Halter top for my older daughter. I hemmed the ruffle edges with a rolled hem foot instead of leaving them raw as the pattern suggests and I am very happy with how this turned out. You can find the free Oliver + S pattern here.

And here she is wearing it. :) So cute! Now we just need summer.
Now I need to sew some Ice Cream Dresses. I have bought that pattern twice to get all the sizes. And another Ruffled Halter for the little one. But I have lost my sew-jo the past couple of days. Maybe I need to sew a quilt to get it back.

Thank you for coming by my blog today to see my garment sewing. :)

Linking up with Let's Bee Social.

1 comment:

  1. For me at least, having the free patterns from Oliver and S gave me a lot of confidence to buy their patterns, knowing the quality of the instructions. My daughter needs some shorts for summer, we'll need to go stash shopping...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. It means a lot that you took the time. :) I have turned off word verification to try to make commenting easier for you. This means I now must limit who can comment to registered users.