Grandmother's Birthday Gift is Finished!

We have had over two feet of snow fall in the past two days. Perfect weather for sitting inside under a cozy quilt hand sewing the binding down. This quilt is finished just in time. Whew! We are celebrating my Grandmother's 89th birthday on Sunday and this lap quilt is her birthday gift from me.
 This quilt is made with two "turnover" precut stacks of the "Aviary" fabric line by "3 Sisters for Moda." The border and binding fabrics are from my stash. It is backed with flannel to make it extra soft and cozy. I sewed two half-square triangles together to make squares and then sewed the squares in rows. I arranged the squares to make light and dark diamonds on the quilt top.

Here is a close-up of some of the fabrics including my favourite, the aqua bird. Due to all the snow I cannot hang the quilt outside for photos (it's still snowing as I type this post!) but hopefully you can get an idea of the quilt from these photos. It is sitting on a double bed just below the pillows at the head of the bed. I hope it will be a much loved and well used quilt. Stay warm and cozy!