Fun Finished Projects for Instagram Quilt Alongs and Challenges

Hi All. I have been very busy sewing! I had a week off to do some major cleaning and purging in my house and now I am back at it with sewing and quilting. I have a few fun finishes that I would like to show you.

First up is a mini quilt that I sewed for "The Strawberry Swap" on Instagram. I mailed it out on Thursday so my partner doesn't have it yet but I'm almost positive she is not following my blog. :) There was a pillow similar to this on Pinterest but it was paper pieced. I did mine with applique and enjoying trying out the blanket stitch on my machine for the first time. I changed out the thread to match each piece of fabric so it took a few sewing sessions to get the blanket stitching finished.


I cross stitched three little strawberries onto a plain tea towel as a little add-on to my swap package.


This is what I sent out to my partner. I made the little strawberry pin cushions for her too. The pattern for them is in the Martha Stewart sewing encyclopedia and is also free on the Martha Stewart website.


Next up are three pillows I made for the "Sewvivor" challenge #1. I didn't make it into the top 16 contestants but I am sewing along. The hashtag on Instagram for the sew along is #sewvivorsewalong and the first challenge is "Nautical." I designed these decorative whale pillows for my son's bed.
 

 
 
I also made an anchor cushion for his little chair that he has in his room.


I originally meant for it to be primary colours on a white background but my prints are mostly low volume and it would have been washed out so I put it on a red maple leaf background.

Here is the back of the pillow. This was the first time I used binding on pillows and I love it! It's like a mini flange on the edges without all the fussing. I think all my pillows will have binding from now on.

So those are my projects for #Sewvivor and #TheStrawberrySwap on Instagram. Now I'm onto working on the #VeryCherrySwap and also the first gift for the #CanuckBdayClub. Busy! Come find me on Instagram if you're on there. :) There's a button up in the mason jars on the right side of the screen.